This Church was founded as a Congregational Church in 1852. On October 5th 1972 it became part of th United Reformed Church as a result of the Union of the Congregational Church in England and Wales and the Presbyterian Church of England.
In May 1852 ground was purchased and a temporary building of wood, known as the Tabernacle, was erected on the site in Edward Street. This building was opened for worship by the Rev. James Massie, Secretary of the Home Missionary Society on July 11th 1852, and on then on the following Sunday, the Rev. Henry Perfect, also of the Home Missionary Society, preached.
In August the Church was formed, consisting of twenty people. The Lord’s Supper (Communion) was celebrated for the first time on August 12th, when the Rev. P Harris of St Albans presided. The Rev. Henry Perfect continued his ministry until January 9th 1853.
A little over a year later it was decided that a more permanent structure was needed, and the foundation stone was laid on August 9th 1853, and the new building opened for worship on January 12th 1854. The Rev. George Smith of Poplar, London and the Rev. Thomas Stockwell were the preachers on that occasion. This building had to be demolished as it was declared unsafe in July 1972. The site of the demolished church building was eventually sold to the United Reformed Church Housing Association which built the present block of eight flats for the elderly. The name of the complex is Osborn House, which honours the man who was the prime mover behind the building of the Church on that site. He was also Mayor of Dunstable at one time. A minute of a meeting held on April 30th, the day after the death of Mr Joseph Osborn, refers to his as “the chief originator of the cause, it’s oldest member and the principal Deacon”.
The present congregation worships in what was the schoolroom, which was built as a result of a decision in March 1865. The hall was known for many years as the Osborn Hall. The original layout was adapted in 1974 when a dedicated worship area was created at the front of the hall, which can accommodate at least fifty people. Further work was undertaken in 1988 when a new heating systems and a Loop system were installed. During this period the congregation worshipped in a hall in the Methodist Church in The Square.
The current Minister is the Revd. Heather Whyte
The ministers who are known to have served the Church are listed below:-
1852-53 Rev. H Perfect
1854-56 ” Jas. Lyon
1857-64 ” S. E. Dodge
1864-69 ” Jas. Dixon
1871-82 ” Wm. Blackwell
1882-88 ” E. G. King
1888-92 ” J. Kitto Baker
1893-1901 ” C. A. Eastwood
1902-08 ” M. J. French
1909-13 ” H. Merchant
1914-19 ” C. A. Eastwood
1920-25 ” T. J. Smith
1926-30 ” F. J. Mortimer
1931-34 ” G. H. Clothier
1938-42 ” A. Morrison
1949-54 ” C. R. Bruford
1956-60 ” G. Hooper
1962-93 ” Bevan Bird
2001-16 ” Sue J. Chapman (Luton & Dunstable Team)
2006-09 ” John W. Steele (Luton & Dunstable Team)
2017 to Present Rev Heather Whyte (Heartland Group; Luton & Dunstable Cluster)